[pskmail] Re: Jpskmail and Bluetooth GPS

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:01:01 +0200

sön 2011-07-10 klockan 20:46 +0200 skrev Franco Spinelli:
> Il 10/07/2011 20:28, Pär Crusefalk ha scritto:
> >
> > After all that I would think its safe to say that a bluetooth gps will
> > have to use gpsd, for now anyway. It should be fine for windows as the
> > driver should place a virtual serial port like comX and rxtx will pick
> > that up.
> >

> Yes, this is true. But only for a Java program.
>
> Xastir and OpenCPN, both C program I suppose, are able to connect to a
> GPS on /dev/rfcomm0.
>
> If using only Linux native programs gpsd is the correct solution. If
> using some windows program under wine (like SeaClear) gpsd don't work
> and I need to connect to /dev/rfcomm0 directly.
>
> Regards
> Franco Spinelli
> IW2DHW

Perhaps its time to post a message about your troubles at rxtx forums?

I have actually stopped using SeaClear and started using OpenCPN
instead. It supports many more map formats, handles AIS fine, is open
source and available for most OS (including linux of course).
http://opencpn.org/

A few years ago I talked to the developer of SeaClear and offered my
services to help him get a native port of SeaClear for linux. He did not
want to share his source as it was his hobby project (and I fully
respect that). I then used it through wine and it was fine but a native
port would have been nice.