[pskmail] Re: Intoducing myself and questions

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:03:42 +0200

> experimenting with Linux (and PSKmail) now for that time. Good moment I
> thought to let you know that I'm here, tell something about myself and
> ask my first questions.

Welcome to the list Wilbert!!

> my crummy English ;-). Heard of PSKMail trough Paul PA0N.

Unfortunately PA0N server is down at the moment, it has no working transceiver
as the
PLL board in the OMNI VI is faulty!

> Working here with an old HW-101 (Heathkit) and for the holidays an FT-7
> in my caravan. So sadly I cant transmit (yet) on 10 mHz.

Well, you can easily work SM0RWO on 80m and 20m!! The scanning works
fine, I have worked SM0RWWO from the camper last week on 80m with
S9 signals from a 10m long fishing rod antenna!!

> Working with PSK I encountered the problem of "losing" the other station
> during a QSO and I'm wondering if that is due to instability of my FT-7.
> A VFO ma be stable enough for SSB phone use but I wonder if it is stable
> enough for PSK(mail). Anybody any experience with non synthesizer /
> older Rigs?

You will be able to see that on the waterfall display... The capture range of a
pskmail server is 980 ... 1010 Hz. And of course, it is important that both TX
and RX
frequency are withing that range.

You may want to try that on 20m during the day time (or 80 during late
evenings).
Best strategy is to 'ping' until you get a reply. (Which can get VERY
frustrating, as
there are no beacons on 20 and 80, so you don't know if you are on the right
frequency).

Maybe I have to add a feature to also beacon on other bands on request....

 Anyway, I hope you enjoy experimenting with this exciting stuff!!

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com