[pskmail] Install of Pskmail Server on Ubuntu

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:50:54 +1000

Just passing on my experience to save other people's time:

1. I originally installed the Mandriva Live CD from the Pskmail site and
upgraded the Perl modules and other libraries to allow the running of the
newer servers. This worked fine for many months until a disk failure.

The image backup done under Puppy Linux live CD could not be restored
(reminder: I will test my backups next time).

2. I downloaded and installed the latest Ubuntu version 9.04 and used the
Ubuntu 8.04 installation method from the Pskmail site. The Perl modules
would not install properly (Net::SMTP::TLS and others). I tried the manual
install procedure of these module as in the Ubuntu 7.04 wiki instructions:
failure as well.

3. I then downloaded and installed version 8.04 of Ubuntu and followed the
wiki instructions: it worked first time.

So if I had to do it again I would go strait to the version 8.04 of Ubuntu
(Hardy). I would have saved a lot of time. Since this is an LTS (Long Term
Support) release, support will be continued until April 2011.

Note that others have reported successes in installing servers on Fedora 10
too but I haven't tried myself.

73's, John.