[pskmail] Re: IC-7200 Questions

  • From: Klaus Lohmann <dl4oah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 09:01:38 +0200

Josh, I operate an IC-7200 as PSKMail Server for some months now.

First:
Soundcard is detected by Ubuntu, so should be the same with Debian.

Second:
A "Xmit ON" and "Xmit OFF" is sent as a CAT command over the serial port provided by the USB port. Port name is /dev/ttyUSBx, x=0 if first port detected etc. You don't need any external interface equipment. Of course apropriate rig settings in fldigi must be made. CTS or RTS PTT over this port does not work.

Third:
Port depends on the number of USB-Serial-Ports you use. IC-7200, USB GPS Mouse etc. Port name depends on the sequence detected by Linux at boot time, but can be fixed. See Ubuntu/Debian/SuSe/Fedora/Puppy....... Doku.

Last:
Internal soundcard simply does its job. Set frequency offset to 1500 Hz, NOT 1000. That makes it much easier to set up a 500 or 600 Hz DSP filter.

73 Klaus DL4OAH

Am 07.10.2011 01:46, schrieb Josh Housey:
All,

I might have a buyer for my IC-718 and the IC-7200 is my top choice. However, I still keep looking at the Yaesu FT-450D. It has an automatic antenna tuner, but I am unsure it has the options (usable) to help the RX and fight interference over here on 30m and other bands (eventually). It claims to have a "300khz" filter (Digital mode) but I don't know if that will work or how effective it would be for PSK250 or other modes vs what it is available for the IC-7200 (custom options).

There are a few things I want to clarify before I decide on the HF radio upgrade. Please bear with me with these possibly easy questions...

The first is that when it is hooked up to the computer, it will detect a sound card to use for Fldigi? I am using the recent version FLDigi on Debian 6.0 (Squeeze). I almost think it does, but just want to be sure.

Second, I would like to know which port does the IC-7200 for rig control for Hamlib? Can it use the USB or does it require the "REMOTE" end? If it can use USB, that is absolutely terrific. Otherwise, I can still use my Rigtalk interface for rig control like I am doing now with the IC-718.

Third, I thought I read somewhere there has to be a modification for it to key the radio when using its "USB" sound-card for PSKMail? What was that? Also, I was just curious, what does it use, VOX or is a "straight PTT" keyup?

Lastly, is there anything else I need to know about the IC-7200? Reviews of the radio are pretty good in my opinion. How well does the IC-7200's "internal" soundcard work and/or any opinions about either radio?

Any responses will be appreciated.

73
Josh, AB9FT