[pskmail] Re: Fwd: RE: [digitalradio] 16QPSK Modulation and Baud

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:10:37 +0200

It is interesting, and it proves that we are not far off the ideal
specification with pskmail.  Except, of course the
different main specification goal for pskmail, being low-bandwidth and low
power. The modems Walt takes about must deliver lots more data per minute, but
the throughput/bandwidth ratio is a lot worse than optimum.

Pskmail actually employs the most important tools mentioned in this text, being
automatically adaptive message length,
and optimum baud rate for the HF channel.

Instead of changing the number of frames, pskmail changes the length of the
segments. A data frame always
consists of 9 segments, the 9th being the ACK/NAK.

When there is a NAK on a segment, the station increases a counter, and when a
certain quantity is reached,
the segment length is halved, so you now have only 50% chance of a segment
being damaged. Moreover,
a segment repeat will take only 50% of the time. If there is no NAK, the
counter is decreased again, and as soon
as it is at a certain minimum value the segment length is doubled.

This way the segment length varies with the conditions. At heavy QRN, the
segment length reduces to 8 data characters,
 when condx are good the segment length increases to 64 data characters. If
there is only 1 damaged segment per frame nothing happens. It takes a number of
damaged segments for the length to change.

There is no point in increasing the segment length further, as the chance of a
character being kicked out of the segment approaches
100% at longer segments, and at 64 chars the protocol overhead is already quite
low.

To give you an idea, I normally start with a segment length of 16 and increases
to 32. In pactor qrm or QRN (or when the XYL uses the electrical steam iron) it
reduces to 8 characters. And when the signal is o.k. out it goes to 64. Average
length used
on a normal channel at 10 MHz is 16-32 Characters.

FEC is not wanted. FEC gives the RX a second chance to receive or reconstruct
the data. Pskmail does this by repeating only the damaged segment, and does not
suffer the speed penalty of FEC.

The text below describes a point-to-multipoint scenario. Our primary goal is to
optimize point-to-point.
Still intersting to keep in mind for the missing (ftp) mode, which may use
MT63...

There is a lot more to be said (and experimented) about this. Come and join
in!! Theory is nice,
but we are hams so we can actualy try it out!!

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com