[pskmail] Re: Feelings about java?

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:17:46 +0100

Thanks William,

I agree that we should not start a religious war, they tend not to lead
anywhere. My sole purpose here was to research a bit more before I get
too far ahead to turn back and try something else.

Thanks for your input on java, I kind of had a hunch that many feel that
way about it. The impression about it used to be that it was slow and
hungry for memory. However, I do think it has been vastly improved and
according to some it is actually very fast nowadays. If you google "java
vs native code" you'll get abt 218000 hits with several references to
tests where java is superior to native c. Such as here:
http://paulbuchheit.blogspot.com/2007/06/java-is-faster-than-c.html

I have previously looked briefly at python and I liked that it was
object oriented. What would you build the gui in there? GTK or QT or?
What IDE are you using and have you tried running your app on another
operating system?

Working together would be great. I'm just not sure that python is the
way to go yet (it could be of course). Perl is another script language
that should be useable on several operating systems, turns out its not
as easy as it sounds. Java sounded good to me as there would be no
ifdefs needed for other systems etc...

73 de Per, sm0rwo