[pskmail] A bit confused I am...

  • From: kd7tkq@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 17:18:40 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

It has been a little while since I've tried doing anything with pskmail, mostly
because I didn't have a suitable antenna, but now that I have that taken care
of, I thought I would try my luck at finding a server and getting my client to
connect. The problem is, things are behaving very strangely, and I cannot
figure out quite what is happening or why. I'm sure there is something I am
missing.

Anyhow, I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid), using fldigi 3.03 and pskmail 1.0 (or so
says the title bar and about, but lower left corner says 0.9.10)

Here's my problem: fldigi seems to work fine all by itself. When I start
pskmail, it seems to be talking to fldigi OK - the connect strings appear in
fldigi, and it transmits, but the frequency starts hunting around. If a signal
is nearby, it seems to be trying to track it as if AFC is on, but sometimes it
just seems to change on its own when there is no signal to try and track. And
this is despite the fact that I have LOCK activated and AFC deactivated in
fldigi.

Oh, and if I close pskmail, then the hunting around stops, and AFC works only
if activated, and frequency stays exactly where I put it if AFC is off.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong here? Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks!

73 de Mike KD7TKQ

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail
in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And
radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them
there. The only difference is that there is no cat.  --Albert Einstein,
describing radio.