[pskmail] Re: 10M ?

  • From: James French <w8iss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:24:26 -0500

Here's some of my comments that I have posted on the Digital Radio Yahoo
group the past couple of days that might help make an informed decision
at least based in the US for a 10m frequency:
=====
Here's what I have found in the FCC rules Part 97 that I think pertain to
PSKmail on HF, at
least in the US:

§97.219 Message forwarding system.
(a) Any amateur station may participate in a message forwarding system, subject
to the
     privileges of the class of operator license held.

(b) For stations participating in a message forwarding system, the control
operator of the
     station originating a message is primarily accountable for any violation
of the rules in
     this Part contained in the message.

(c) Except as noted in paragraph (d) of this section, for stations
participating in a message
     forwarding system, the control operators of forwarding stations that
retransmit inadvert-
     ently communications that violate the rules in this Part are not
accountable for the violat-
     ive communications. They are, however, responsible for discontinuing such
communicat-
     ions once they become aware of their presence.

(d) For stations participating in a message forwarding system, the control
operator of the first
     forwarding station must:

      (1) Authenticate the identity of the station from which it accepts
communication on behalf
            of the system; or

      (2) Accept accountability for any violation of the rules in this Part
contained in messages it
           retransmits to the system.

§97.221 Automatically controlled digital station.
(a) This rule section does not apply to an auxiliary station, a beacon station,
a repeater station,
     an earth station, a space station, or a space telecommand station.

(b) A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a RTTY or data
emission on the
     6 m or shorter wavelength bands, and on the 28.120-28.189 MHz,
24.925-24.930 MHz,
     21.090-21.100 MHz, 18.105- 18.110 MHz, 14.0950-14.0995 MHz, 14.1005-14.112
MHz,
     10.140-10.150 MHz, 7.100-7.105 MHz, or 3.585-3.600 MHz segments.

(c) A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a RTTY or data
emission on any
     other frequency authorized for such emission types provided that:

      (1) The station is responding to interrogation by a station under local
or remote control; and

      (2) No transmission from the automatically controlled station occupies a
bandwidth of more
            than 500 Hz.

The way I am interpretting this, is that I could place a station between
28.120-28.189 MHz and be
within the rules to do it as long as I don't 'beacon' out that I am there and
that the other station is
the one to initiate the contact. After that, as long as my station identifies
at least once every ten
minutes, I am legal. I see this as a means if PSKmail DOESN'T beacon out but
can use the frequency
as long as someone else inititates the contact.

Food for thought here. If someone else has a better understanding of the rules
than me, Please comment.

I won't be on Ten meters for a while, but I think its worth it to know what I
am doing before I go and do
it and get a letter from the FCC about it. I'd rather be in the 'SPIRIT' of the
rules than just blatantly dis-
regard them.
=====

And I posted the wrong frequency that the Propnet group is thinking of
using yesterday. It should say 28.118.8MHz, not 28.188MHz..:( Sorry about
that.

I am also looking for a sugested frequency to use on 6m? Would prefer to stay
away as much as possible from 50.125MHz but be close enough so as to draw
some attention.

James W8ISS