[prssr-devel-ml] Re: caching, queueing enclosures, and updating feeds

  • From: David Andrs <pda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: prssr-devel-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:35:11 +0100

Hi!

On 12/14/05, Hal Rottenberg <halr9000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Now I'm going to try diggnation, wish me luck.
>
> It's actually working which is cool.  However, the enclosure is 30MB
> which is going to take a while.  Been 5 min and I don't see any
> movement on the progress bar.  During this time I can queue more
I have just implemented moving progress for caching enclosures. I
consider this as main feature related with updatind, which has to be
in 1.1.5.

> enclosures or caching of online content, but I cannot update feeds.
> Nor can I manage this queue.
For the next version, I plan to have 2 queues. One for updating feeds,
the second one for caching online content and enclosures.

> I think it would make these types of operations much more useful if we
> could somehow manipulate this queue.  If possible pausing and resuming
> in the middle of an enclosure download would be cool, then I could for
> example pause my Diggnation download, update all feeds, then continue
> the download.  Or I could go to this queue dialog, see that update all
> and caching 3 webpages are queued after a large podcast enclosure and
> rearrange so that the small ones will go first.
>
> Also, since this thing is so large and the progress bar hasn't moved,
> I think a spinner to show activity would be nice as well.  Like the
> animated "E" logo in PIE showing that a webpage is actively being
> downloaded.  You could put a pulsing prss logo just to the left of the
> "Caching" text.
>
> Switched the wifi radio on and updating diggnation is much faster.  :)
>  But still I see "Caching (1 remain)" and a 50% bar but it could
> either be hung waiting on a response or actively downloading data and
> I don't know at a glance which it is.
I have improved the manual caching as the following:
- when caching enclosure, it shows 'Caching (x remain)' and the
progess shows how much of the file is downloaded.
- when caching online content, it shows 'Caching (x remain)' and the
progress shows many files where already cached (one page could have
more items).

Well, this is quite inconsistent to the channel update where pRSSr
shows 'site: task (n remain)'. Here, n is related to the task and
progress bar shows n. In manual caching, n is related to the whole
caching process.

This problem will be solved with the 2 queue feature (see above). The
first bar will show 'Sitename: action' (action = connecting | updating
| ...) and the progress will be related to the whole updating process.
The second bar will show the filename and the progress will show
amount of downloaded file.

This my idea of the future version. Comments are welcomed.

> --
> Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
> im:hal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://halr9000.com