[projectaon] Re: would like to help with editing.

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, schrademan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 18:55:47 +0100

pamail.cgi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The following was sent from the Project Aon contact form
From: Ryan Schrader Subject: would like to help with editing.

I collected all the US books.  Although some are abridged, I'd like to help out
where I can with editing.

Hi Ryan

Thanks for your offer of help. We are always in need of Editors at Project Aon. The abridged editions aren't all that useful, since they are missing around 50 or more sections each, but an Editor can still check over the posted text for any book.

As an Editor, you will want to read through the "How to Edit" page of our site: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Sanctum/Howto-edit> This gives a basic overview of what the duties of an Editor are for Project Aon. An Editor does not actually change any of the text--they report problems with the text to the Volunteers' Mailing List, and these are then added to a list of problems for that book.

Currently, we do not have the text for Books 18, 19, or 20 available for download, but an Editor can still read through their copies of the unabridged books looking for problems. When reading, if you find a spelling mistake, or a rule that isn't clear, or some other problem, this can be reported to the Volunteers' Mailing List.

I have already had a look through the rules sections for Books 18-20, as they are the least interesting parts of a Lone Wolf books to edit! You can see the results of my editing linked from this page: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Errata/Home>. The Errata section is where we keep all issues that have not yet been fixed. We have only very recently started listing the problems this way, but we have already found it very useful.

When a problem is reported to the Mailing List, someone will then add it to the relevant list, along with the initials or name of the person who reported it. So anyone who edits will get a credit! You may wish to look through some of those lists just to familiarise yourself with what sort of problems should be reported.

When the text of "Dawn of the Dragons" is posted on our site for editing, this will be announced on the Mailing List. Editors will then read through that and compare it to the book, looking for transcription errors, errors that have been introduced by scanning and proofreading. So the books receive a lot of editing before we finally publish them--but we always seem to miss a number of things, which proves no one's perfect!

If you happen to own the Freeway Warrior series, we are currently working on "Highway Holocaust" (aka "Freeway Warrior 1" in the US). The text for this book can be downloaded here: <> However, this posted text is very out of date, if you check the link for Highway Holocaust from the Errata page <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Errata/HighwayHolocaust> The yellow sections show what has been changed from the current version of the text. An updated pre-release version of this book will be released shortly, for final editing.

Once again, thank you for your offer, Ryan. We all look forward to working with
you.

Regards,

(on behalf of Project Aon)