[projectaon] Re: Thanks

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 16:28:47 +0800

On 10 February 2012 17:48, <pamail.cgi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following was sent from the Project Aon contact form
>   From: Helen Layley helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   Date: 09:48:41 on Friday, February 10, 2012
> Subject: Thanks
>
> Just to thank you for all of your efforts here. I am an English teacher in
> Sweden, supporting native English speaking children to develop and maintain
> thier English whilt living in Sweden, in some cases permanently.
> Last week I met a new pupil ... a sullen, resentful 10 year old boy
> interested only in the 'Call of Duty' computer game which, I'm sure you
> know, is not marketed for ten year old children.
> I thought of the 'Choose your own adventure' books I knew as a child, and
> also Hero Quest as a teenager and Role-play whilst at uni and went on Ebay!
> I won 8 books including two Lone Wolf ones and these are the best ones to
> begin with. I played the board game 'Risk' with my student yesterday and am
> busy preparing the 'Flight from the Dark' score sheets etc. for next week's
> class. Having the online resources here is going to make my task much much
> easier and I hope to motivate this young boy to enjoy both reading and
> gaming. Being able to do this without cost to myself is incredible and I
> want you to know how much this is appreciated. Thank you for making it so
> easy for new generations to experience role-play gaming.
> Helen

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your wonderful story. Every so often we hear from people who
fondly remember *Lone Wolf* from their own childhood, and credit the books
with developing their reading and creative skills -- but it's especially
heartwarming to know that the books are still helping young people today,
and that we at Project Aon are able to play some small part in this.

As a (maths) teacher myself, I know just how hard it can be to motivate the
kind of student you describe, and what a wonderful thing it is to find ways
to reach them! I sincerely hope things continue to work out well for you,
for him, and for your other students.

All the best,
--
Tim Pederick