[projectaon] Re: Offering help for NO books

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:25:54 +0000

pamail.cgi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
The following was sent from the Project Aon contact form
   From: Nixon aka Mydnight on TotS chidojo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   Date: 02:25:26 on Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subject: Offering help for NO books

Hello good people, saw your ad through BlackCat over at TotS. I've all the NO
books and wld like to assist your team on the project. Please let me know what
i can help with. Thanks!

Hi Nixon

Thanks for your support. Proofreading the NO books isn't easy since so few of us have access to them. (I do, but I already have my name all over the site, and it's good to have more volunteers' names on each book!)

Currently we have the complete text of Books 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, and 28, and 5/6 of the text for Book 27. Book 25 is still undergoing scanning. The scanned raw text we currently have can be downloaded from our Assignments page: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Sanctum/Howto-proofread>

Each book is split into six portions; this is so a volunteer doesn't have to complete a whole book, which could be a real burden. Essentially, all you need to do is claim a portion of one of the books, and I'll put your name next to it to show it has been "claimed". Once it is completed, mail the files direct to either Jon Blake, or myself (and I'll forward them to Jon Blake ;-) ).

Note that Project Aon proofreading is not the same as the duties of a normal proofreader. I think Black Cat linked to the page on our site explaining what is entailed, but here's the link again: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Sanctum/Howto-proofread> A proofreader's job is to make the scanned text accurate to the printed text. Also, while the fiddly part of separating each numbered section into its own file might seem tedious, it does allow us to automate the creation of the source xml file; so there definitely is method in our madness. (The Frontmatter sections do not need to be split into separate files.) If you come across anything that is clearly wrong in the printed book, you might want to note it down separately and then send it when you mail us the finished files.

You might wish to join the mailing list <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Sanctum/Howto-join> though at least one person has had difficulty getting that to work and we're looking into it. Assuming you can join the list, you can post there directly which portions of what book you are currently working on, to avoid any risk of duplication of work.

We look forward to working with you!

For Sommerlund and the Kai!

Project Aon HR