[projectaon] Re: Footnotes Galore

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Project Aon List <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:09:19 -0700

~~~~~
BOOK 8

60: This is really an error. This choice has nothing to do with if you
have a weapon effective against a Helghast or not. The Sommerswerd
explicitly is needed: ("but the chill of its icy flame is thawed by
the golden fire of the sun-sword"). [JR]

[TW: I agree with UrQuan here. It is a major authorial oversight that
the player might actually be carrying a weapon that can harm the
Helghast, but what is critical in 308 and 258 is whether the weapon
can deflect the magical fireball or not - and only the Sommerswerd can
do this. Would it be possible to put a footnote [SO: or an explicit
option] in 258 stating that if you used any of the magical Special
Items, it isn't actually destroyed, but you drop it and cannot use it
for the remainder of the battle. And if the player possesses yet
another magical Special Item and tries to use it in hand combat with
the Helghast, go to the fight in 47 rather than insta-dying?]

[SO: Without rewriting the text there will be some inconsistencies either way.]

308: Superfluous, with the section 60 footnote removed. [JR]

[SO: Depends on the above footnote.]
~~~~~

I can see where this is coming from. I don't see a clean way of
bringing those other weapons into this fight which hinges on the
ability to absorb or deflect the magical missiles from the Helghast's
staff, not the ability to injure the Helghast. I vote for removing
both of the above footnotes with the possibility of leaving a footnote
in 60 noting that those other weapons are insufficient in this case
and why.

~~~~~
BOOK 9

134: Very superfluous. There are several sections where you go longer
than this without eating. In any case, a Kai Master should most
certainly be able to go a single day without starving. [JR]

[SO: Parallel Section 242 where you do have to eat.]

[JR: I really disagree with this one. You don't have to eat anywhere.
The wording in that section is just a ruse to lead you astray into the
eating house to get captured. Hungry, or even ravenous =/= Starvation.
Again, the biggest point here is that there are several sections where
you go longer than this without eating. Seems like a bigger
inconsistency not to footnote every single one of those then, than to
remove this footnote?]

[SO: I don't claim to have audited all the books for parallel Meal
use, but this one seemed quite obvious when it was pointed out. I hope
there aren't too many other places in the books where Meal
requirements are inconsistent across parallel pathways.]
~~~~~

Looking at the paths graph, section 242 is not parallel to 134 because
you can reach 134 through 242. In 242 and subsequent sections I
couldn't find any explicit instruction to eat a meal or lose EP.
Section 146 (which is the parallel section to 134) doesn't require a
meal either but for the obvious reason that Chiban feeds you a meal.

The idea that Lone Wolf needs to eat makes sense to me, but it is far
from certain that this was the author's intent. Perhaps the footnote
is too strongly worded?