[projectaon] Fonts in SVG (and ebooks) (was: Re: Re: The Skull of Agarash)

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 19:31:59 +0100

On Wednesday 28 October 2015 16:38:34 Simon Osborne wrote:

On those lines I wonder, does anyone know if/how you can embed a font
into an SVG file, so that the text will look identical on other
computers without the font installed? Being able to do that would make
the SVG maps much more straightforward.

There is a standard for fonts in SVG:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/fonts.html

It is not widely supported and probably never will be implemented by the
major browser. See
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Tutorial/SVG_fonts
and
https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5930075908210688

So, I guess we are left with "conversion to paths" as mentioned by Jon.
But I doubt this will ever look as good as the resolution dependent font
rendering implemented by the SVG viewers and/or operating systems.

On a related note, I've recently researched font licenses and saw that
the font sellers offer special licenses for ebooks. For example, see
http://www.fonts.com/font/itc/itc-souvenir (click on Licenses).

My conclusion was that the license at fonts.com is infeasible for us
because "A license covers only a single title [...]", i.e. we'd have to
buy 28 separate licenses for the 28 Lone Wolf books. That'd be 28 x 4
(Souvenir Light/Light Italic/Demi Bold/Demi Bold Italic) x 70 EUR =
7,840 EUR.

But the absolute killer clause is "If a publication is updated and
distributed to existing users, a new license is not required. However,
updated versions issued to new customers are defined as new publications
and require a separate license." which means that we'd have to buy new
licenses each time we update the ebooks.

So much for Lone Wolf ebooks with embedded Souvenir font.

Regards,
Ingo