[projectaon] Re: Errors: Quarter vs. quarter; Gate vs. gate

  • From: "Jonathan Blake" <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:38:14 -0700

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I apologise for the hugeness of this list. My only excuse is that as a
> global issue that affects 12 separate books, it is best to post them all to
> get an overview and a consistent decision on them. I appreciate it will
> probably take some considerable time to respond to this, so I won't be
> posting any more Errors posts until this one has been fully dealt with.
>
> This one has bugged and confused me for some time: when is a city gate or a
> district named? Although the first problem occurs in Book 8, the confusion
> really starts in Book 9: The Cauldron of Fear. For completeness, I have also
> listed below a handful of issues that were originally rejected from 18dotd.
>
> I think this is the best way to convey the information. I haven't quoted
> existing use, though I have noted such for copleteness.

> Books where <Foo> Quarter is capitalised:

To me, the instances involving a cardinal directions are generic
designations like saying "the west side of the city". Unless that's a
proper name (like Linen Quarter, Thieves' Quarter, Carpet-weavers'
Quarter, or Armourers' Quarter), they don't need to be capitalized. I
agree with Thomas in saying that we should only be concerned with
consistency within a specific locale regardless if other cities in the
same book are inconsistent. So the North Quarter of one city may be a
proper name while the north quarter of another may not (especially if
it is a "northern" quarter) even within the same book.

With this in mind, I only wonder about the consistency of the
following (I haven't yet had a chance to determine which cities these
refer to):

> Book 22 (8, 168, 184, 204 "Old Quarter"; 33, 42, 201, 279 "North Quarter")

> (er)    22tbos:110:     eastern quarter -> Eastern Quarter
> -> "This magnificent establishment dominates the city's eastern quarter..."
>
> (er)    22tbos:216, 298:        east quarter -> Eastern Quarter
> -> "...you follow him through the alleyways of the east quarter which
> lead..."
> -> "You follow Melchar through the alleyways of the east quarter which..."
>
> (er)    22tbos:300:     northern quarter -> Northern Quarter
> -> "The famous grand mansions of its northern quarter are now..."

> Book 24 (27, 45, 76, 81, 86, 203, 222, 227, 232, 276, 288, 296, 335, 338
> "Northern Quarter"; 27, 45,
> 76, 86, 203, 296, 335 "Southern Quarter"; 81, 223, 232 "East Quarter"; 116,
> 228 "West Quarter")

> (er)    24rw:81, 223, 232:      East Quarter -> Eastern Quarter [cf.
> Northern Quarter, Southern Quarter]
> -> "...you are now entering Duadon's East Quarter."
> -> "...and the rooftops of Duadon's East Quarter."
> -> "...you are now entering Duadon's East Quarter."
>
> (er)    24rw:119, 228:  West Quarter -> Western Quarter [cf. Northern
> Quarter, Southern Quarter]
> -> "...you are now entering Duadon's West Quarter."
> -> "...you are now entering Duadon's West Quarter."

> Books where <Foo> Gate is capitalised:

The same applies here.

Simon, thank you for bringing these all together. I'm not confident
that we can get a global ruling on this.