[projectaon] Re: Errata Sprint Addendum #1 -- Sing. vs. pl.*

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:33:53 +0800

On 4 July 2011 15:15, Benjamin I Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Timothy Pederick wrote:
>
> (er)    8, 31, 178, 183, 226, 244:      horde are -> horde is [lm]
>>>

>> Agreed, rule 1.
>>

> This one should be rejected per rule 2 ("a battle-frenzy that drives them
> like demons")

Thanks Ben. I was lazy and didn't check the context.

(Section 178 is still "Agreed", as it doesn't have the whole "battle-frenzy"
bit. It has "the horde is melting away", "the Shom’zaa horde are returning",
and "the horde raise their weapons", which are okay, to be fixed, and okay
respectively.)

>  (er)    143:    The horde hit -> The horde hits [lm: cf. ref. 57]
>>>

>> Agreed, rule 1.
>>

> Again, per rule 2 "the War-Thanes fight them" should make it a rejection.
> I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but the way I see it is basically
> anywhere a collective noun is referred to with a plural pronoun in the same
> sentence, the verb should be plural (except in very rare cases where the
> plural pronoun should be changed to a singular).

That's more or less how I feel about it, yes. It's interesting to note that
"hit" vs. "hits" is the one and only difference between sections 57 and 143.
Padding, Mr Dever? :-P

>  (er)    197:    more than half of his army are -> ? more than half of his
>>> army is
>>>

>> Agreed, rule 1.
>>

> I would say the meaning actually changes depending on whether we go with
> the original or the proposed change.  As written, I'm imagining various
> members of the army independently going missing until more than half are
> unaccounted for.  With the proposed change, I'm imagining a single regiment
> comprising more than half the army going missing.

I don't see it quite that way. I do agree that the singular form implies the
missing troops are aggregated in *some* way, but that could be lost in a
single battle, deserted *en masse*, or just "all missing because of this
Agarashi business". :-)

--
Tim Pederick