[projectaon] Re: Can You Help...Create A Font?

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 14:22:13 +0200

On Wednesday 10 September 2014 11:00:36 Simon Osborne wrote:
> I reduced the dpi from 200 to 150 for the LW maps, and used the Hermite
> resampler (no, I don't know either). A bit of research (like, 2 minutes
> on Google) tells me that Lanczos is probably a better alternative.
> Maybe? A quick experiment shows that Lanczos3 @150dpi is actually about
> 1Mb smaller than Hermite.
>
> Lanczos3 @ 200dpi comes out at about 8.4Mb. Hermite @ 200dpi comes out
> at about 8.2Mb. Either way, an average of 1Mb per map would make a
> Magnamund Atlas about 30-35Mb in size. That's still smaller than The
> Magnamund Companion by some margin.
>
> Have replaced the online version with one resampled with Lanczos3 @
> 200dpi for now. Perhaps someone who knows what he's doing  (i.e.not me)
> might be able to offer an opinion on which is better? ;-)

Well, I guess it depends. Usually, for some images Lanczos3 works better and
for other images Hermite (or some other filter) works better. For most images
the simple (and fast) bilinear filter works good enough.

Many filters work best if the resolution is reduced by a integer fraction, e.g.
200 to 100 dpi. So, whenever possible reduce the resolution by 1/2, 1/3, etc.

In the end, it's best to try different filters for one or two images and then
visually compare the quality of the results. Then settle on one filter for the
other images (unless the other images have very different features, e.g. b/w
instead of color).

I suggest to ignore the file size of the results because most likely the
difference doesn't really matter, e.g. the above 8.2 MB vs. 8.4 MB (that's a
difference of less than 2.5 %) doesn't really make a difference for people with
a decent internet connection and for people with a slow internet connection
either variant is probably anyway way too large.

Regards,
Ingo