[projectaon] Re: Arrow of Atonement

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:26:45 +0000

On 11/01/2014 16:00, Jonathan Blake wrote:
~~~~~
(er) 6

[jc: What if you do not possess a Bow? Can you throw the Arrow of
Atonement at the Autarch?]

[Is it possible to kill Sejanoz with the Arrow of Atonement without
possessing a Bow? This seems to be the only Section where this affects
the actual game-flow of the book. See
http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/svg/lw/28thos.svgz]
~~~~~

It doesn't explicitly mention a Bow. It only says "you release your
Arrow of Atonement and send it whistling towards his foul heart", so
that doesn't rule out throwing it, but it seems silly to throw an
arrow. Then again, maybe a Grand Master can pull that kind of thing
off?

I'm not sure what to do about this. Thoughts?

Um, it does explicitly mention a Bow: "You quickly draw the Arrow of Atonement to your Bow and command the tyrant to free the young Prince."

This has bugged me for a long time. The only fix I can see would be quite invasive:

* Pick a suitable 'rally point' (a section the player has to visit) and add text to the effect of: "If you do not already possess a Bow, you snatch one up that is lying abandoned on the floor. If you are already carrying two Weapons, you must discard one in favour of the Bow." Then, add either in the text, or more likely as a footnote, something like: "To prevent a major continuity error, you may not discard the Bow until the end of the adventure."

I can't remember the adventure too well, but a look at the flowchart <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/svg/lw/28thos.svgz> shows a number of potential sections toward the end, such as 108, 250, 100, or 147. I'm not sure where it would seem less awkward in terms of the location, though.

It's not great, I know. :-\ I don't suppose Joe has any comment about this? I'm assuming that this continuity error was caused by the loss of the other 50 sections.