[projectaon] Re: 21tvom

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:26:39 +0000

McSwain LeRoy wrote:
about the text, the list of issues follows. thanks in advance for processing these, simon. i reported all t he singular form used as plural nouns i noticed but as always some may be false positives. better to look at them than not, i reasoned. i look forward to the responses and possibly learning some new grammar and idiom.

for sommerlund and the kai,
leroy mcswain

Hi LeRoy

A number of the issues you've reported have already been fixed (e.g. the on to -> onto ones) since September when Book 21 was originally output. I've uploaded newer versions of Books 21-28 so this shouldn't happen on the other New Order books.

Assume that the issues are "Escalated" unless otherwise stated.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons World Championships in Baltimore => (the wording
decided on for the previous books is clearer)
The author blurb is kept in a separate "shared" file that all of the books link
to. This will be
fixed as soon as I output and upload a new version. [Should now be done for
Books 1-8, and 18-28.]

(ack)  Sections 1-350 => Sections 1-350)
(ne) Fixed!

(rules)    Random lumber => Random Number
(ne) Fixed! Annoyingly, this error was propagated to Books 22-28 as well. They
have also been fixed.

(disc)    Curing You => (strike line break?)
Jon, Ingo, Thomas: I am not sure how to fix this. There is a <p> inside a <dd>
because there are two
separate paragraphs underneath this heading. Can we remove the superfluous
newline? Escalated.

(disc)    adventure.  You => (strike line break?)
(er) The line-break is there in the published version. I see no compelling
reason to lose it. Escalated.

(equip)    Random Number Table, your Kai Weapon => Random Number Table; your
Kai Weapon
(er) No. The sentence wouldn't make sense with this change. Rejected.

(equip)    weapon, such as a sword or axe. => weapon, such as a Sword or Axe.
(er) Already fixed to "...a Sword or an Axe."

(equip) and used in addition to two normal weapons. => awesome, but how are you holding the third weapon? your teeth? also: weapons => Weapons
(er) weapon -> Weapons. Escalated.

As for the Special Item status of certain weapons, that's been in the rules
since the Sommerswerd.
It's why dual-wielding never made any sense to me.

(wisdm)    Successful completion of previous Lone Wolf adventures (Books 1-20) may
be advantageous, but it is not essential for the completion of this New Order
adventure. => ???
Already reported here: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/Errata/VoyageOfTheMoonstone> Best solution seems to be removal of this sentence entirely.

1    far to the west of Magnamund => ? far in the west of Magnamund
Or, far to the west of Sommerlund? Escalated.

2    on to => onto
(er) Already Fixed!

5    with a sneer bed to his cruel lips => ?with a sneer fixed to his cruel lips
(ne) Fixed as "fixed".

9    on to => onto
(er) Already Fixed!

11    drawing your Magnakai skill => ? drawing upon your Magnakai skill (or is
this idiom?)
Not idiom here. (er) Escalated.

36    nearer-and => nearer and
(ne) Already (Fixed)

40    The troupe are gifted acrobats and jugglers => ? The troupe is gifted
acrobats and jugglers
Or, The troupe is comprised of/The troupe comprises... (er) Escalated.

54 [x2], 56, 83 [x2], 132, 190, 208, 286, 310, 333:    item => Item // Items =>
Items
(er) Rejected. Item only needs to be capitalised when it occurs after "Special" or
"Backpack".

58 custom? (this is the first time i've heard this word used this way. i guess it's where we get the word customer from, but i couldn't find this defintion in the dictionary; so, i'm checking if it's correct)
Using 'custom' in this way is completely correct, yes.

104    men's => ? mens'
No; "men" is in the plural form, but it is treated as singular (cf. Sheep vs.
Sheep's)

109    on to => onto
(er) Already Fixe.

113    ghost stories; Having seen => ghost stories; having seen OR ghost
stories. Having seen
(ne) ghost stories. Having. Fixed.

126    Oriah's horses => Oriah's horse
No; "yours and Oriah's horses" refers to two horses, not just Oriah's horse. Maybe this should be changed to '...both horses...' Will Escalate that change (or similar).

163    orphaned section

219     says Oswin, ‘we're not =>  says Oswin. ‘We're not
(er) No, this is fine. Oswin says: "Don't be alarmed, we're not assassins."

227    That's wrong, that's wrong! => That's wrong! that's wrong!
(er) This is fine as-is.

232    You agree his price => ? You agree to his price (or is this idiom?)
(er) Could be considered idiomatic, but I think the alteration would be better.

273    remain legible for thousands => remain legible, for thousands
I prefer: symbols yet -> symbols, yet

285    was heard. ‘The fiend => was heard, ‘the fiend (quote is all one
sentence)
Disagree. Spoken English does not have to conform to the same grammatical rules and written English. "Down by the river," is a self-contained spoken sentence in this context and can be punctuated accordingly.

306    o'war => ? o' war
(er) According to Chambers it should be 'men-o'-war'. Escalated.