[projectaon] Re: 04tcod footnote issues

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 22:54:51 +0000

On 25/10/2011 22:50, Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Simon Osborne<outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
245: Deleted "Your other man is also now beyond all help."

But what if you came to 245 from 127 where you have that extra man.
Does this solve one problem and create another?

Possibly...though I must admit I'm not up on how many men you are assumed to
have in various Sections.

According to Section 178 (also linked from 127): "You drag the loathsome
creature away from the ranger only to find that the man is dead."

On reflection, I think that copying Mongoose and deleting the offending text
lessens the inconsistency, so I find the change preferable--a man described
as 'pinned beneath an Elix' not being mentioned again is easily inferred to
have died; conversely, finding out explicitly that he's dead, losing the
other man, and then (apparently) being told of a third also being beyond
help is confusing.

Agreed.

I've made an executive decision here (feel free to rule against, Jon). By changing "Your other man is also" to "Your men are" we keep the full sense of the text without any numeric ambiguity. Also allows us to dump a footnote.