[projectaon] Re: 01hh Nitty Gritty

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:55:11 +0100

Jonathan Blake wrote:
We're almost finished with 01hh. Here are the remaining issues that I
am aware of:

1) (footnote for 206) your weapon is kicked from your grasp [LM: do
you lose this weapon?]

Thoughts?

I'd say the weapon is probably lost--in the following section you jump in your car and everyone drives away, leaving little time to go hunting for it--particularly in the "poor light".

2) We need to use the graph to make sure we're using the small
illustrations in a sensible way.

Umm, that's it. What am I forgetting? We can't really be this close, right?

Also the question of our typographical treatment of the ellipsis came
up. This shouldn't stop the publication, but wanted to get everyone's
input.

The space is intentional to set it apart from the text. If we were
going to change house style, I would favor adding another space at the
beginning of the ellipsis, not removing the last one.

My personal preference would be to remove the trailing space; however, as a compromise, I think we should leave things as they are because a preceding space as well would just look horrible! :-p

It's not so obvious where we left-align the text, but with fully justified text the space between the ellipsis and the following word is sometimes large, which looks ugly. This clearly doesn't affect the single-page versions. Admittedly, the ellipsis character in Verdana seems much too narrow when compared to the letters. Ditto for Zapf Elliptical BT. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.