re: vinux questions: where to ask

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:35:28 -0600

Hi, all.

to those who asked if there is a forum better suited to vinux-related
questions, the answer is yes, there is.  Here is the link:

Vinux Support Group - http://groups.google.co.uk/group/vinux-support

It is a very lively or (high traffic) list.   Lots of helpful people
there.  I don't use a laptop for vinux but plenty of people on there
do.

You can either have the list send you e-mail directly or, you can log
in and post to it righ ton the site which is what I'm doing right now.

Lots of interesting things going on right now.  Many of us have our
own pet projects as well as there being the big all-encompassing ones
which are on eveyrone's radar.  My own undeclared informaal pet
project is to find an IDE that is accessible and works efficiently in
gnome.  So far, Eclipse and Anjuta seem to be producing the most
interesting results.  The amount of stuf out there is just ungodly and
wading through it takes doing.  I've found that a lot of people just
use Gedit, blue Fish, Vim and Emacs and a command line and seem to do
very well like that.
Please note, there are two actively supported releases out right now,
3.0 and 3.1.  3.0 is the more stable one since it's based on ubuntu
10.04 Lucid Lynx which is a "long-term supported release" and 3.1 is
based on Maverick.  It's been described as the "cutting edge."  Lots
of new stuff on that one.  it was just released last week so it's
brand spanking new.

If you are very new to linux, the folks over there have put togethre a
quickstart guide which can be found here:

http://vinux.org.uk/quickstart.html

Some of us  are working on a more comprehensive manual as well so the
documentation is growing.  Plenty of things to learn and plenty of
opportunities for everyone to contribute.

Alex M