Re: uestion about remotes for pc

  • From: "The Elf" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 02:50:53 -0700

Alex, many of the media version of vista computers come with a remote just for this, and this card may well have one also, take a look.

inthane
proprietor, The Grab Bag,
for blind computer users and programmers
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
"own the might and majesty of a Alacorn!"
www.alacorncomputer.com
Owner: Agemtree
"merchants in fine facetted and cabochon gemstones"
www.agemtree.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Hall" <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
From: Trouble <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:24:49 -0400
Subject: Re: uestion about remotes for pc

This and others in its brand can do what you want, its called
Haup
Pauge PVR 250 TV tuner card.
Also now someone that wrote some scripts for a few programs he
uses with it.

At 03:58 PM 6/13/2009, you wrote:
Hi all,
I am trying to convince my family that we should go with a device
that broadcasts TV signals over the wifi network, instead of
buying
new TV units and a DVR or two.  I have two questions about this,
the
first of which is somewhat off topic for this list:

1.  Can someone watching TV on a laptop or desktop record what
they
are watching to a video file, preferably with a free program? No
one
here has XP Media Center or anything above Vista Home Basic.

2.  My grandmother, who lives with us, hates to use a computer
but
has an intuitive grasp of all things TV/VCR-related that are
controlled by a remote.  Could I set up a computer so that she
can
record shows at anytime (live or on a schedule), and control it
with
a remote? We have plenty of remotes around, and I know I have
seen
USB/IR converters before, so could I write (or better yet,
download)
a program that will let her just record, play, pause, stop, and
so
on with a remote? She does not need music playing, internet, or
anything else; the pc would basically emulate a DVD recorder,
except
with a LOT more storage space and without the annoying messing
with
disks, erasing disks when they get full, and so on.
Thanks for any help or advice.

Have a great day,
Alex

Tim
trouble
Verizon FIOS support tech
"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with
substance."
--Sam Brown

Blindeudora list owner.
To subscribe or info: