Re: python, indentation and confusion

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 08:13:20 -0500

Hi,
Use EdSharp and use its PyDent feature. Problem beautifully solved thanks
to Jamal, who contributes rather than wining.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

             "Jaffar@ecstatico
             .net"
             <jaffar@ecstatico                                          To
             .net>                     programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-
             bounce@freelists.                                     Subject
             org                       python, indentation and confusion

             02/17/2008 10:46
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Hi Gang.  My boss who was originally a c++ buff has now been converted to
python.  As a result, me and my colleagues have had to learn a new
programming language to suit my boss's latest preference.  Surprisingly,
the learning curve for the python language is not that steep when compared
to c, c++ or java, my personal opinion of course.  The only difficulty i've
had to face is the indentation rules as is laid out in python's coding
convention.  While my sighted colleagues aren't really concerned about
this, I get all muddled up especially when it comes to coding of win32 gui
because my code always fails through improper indentation.  This is true
whether i am coding with native python or with the Tkinter or the wxPython
toolkits.  The thing is that i don't encounter such indentation problems
when i am writing native python scripts.  So, knowing that there are some
among you who have, and still are coding in python, what are the rules of
thumb when it comes to properly indenting python code?  All help on this
will be very much appreciated thanks.
By the way, having spent the last 1 and ahalf months studying python
scripting and programming, i am beginning to understand why my boss fell
for the language, at least in terms of productivity and reliability.
Cheers!