Re: programming in .net

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:42:26 -0500

I'm taking a course that uses .net as its environment right now. I haven't found anything I can't do, but I use text editors still more than Visual Studio. Jamal Mazrui sent me the following two links when I asked him about this over my school's break, and I've found them to be very useful. The first is an archive of C# reference/learning material, since it is what I feel more comfortable with syntactically. It can be found at http://EmpowermentZone.com/cnetdoc.zip I believe there is also a collection related to vb.net, but I haven't looked at it much. You'll also want to look at the Homer collection of tools Jamal pointed me to, as they are very useful for helping to create GUI interfaces and do some of the other tasks that are more typically accomplished with the IDE. I've only cherry-picked at these a bit, but there appears to be a lot of useful routines contained within them.

http://EmpowermentZone.com/hnsetup.zip
IN closing, I think I'll be fine with .net now, because I've been programming regularly now for a few years. I don't know if I'd recommend a blind person start learning using one of the .net environments. There's just too much going on in cutting VS out of the equasion, and most of your beginner's tutorials and the like presume extensive use of Visual Studio. I don't think any of the accessibility solutions for VS at this point really let you think about VS more than how to make the screen reader read the IDE properly. I know some disagree with me on this and part of that conclusion has been brought about by the blind community as a whole's testimonials on VS more than my own direct experimentation, so perhaps someone can give you an opposing prospective. But if you already have a grasp on the OO paradigm, there's lots of evidence to its being a more than workable environment without needing to involve VS much, which is the big accessibility hurdle.

HTH,
Jared

On 1/19/2010 9:22 AM, Robert J Smith wrote:

Hi all. I may have sent this question a couple years ago but my supervisor has asked me to check again. I need to know if there are any applications programmers who are programming in the .net environment in visual basic, asp, and c# with speech software. If so, have you been able to successfully develop both form and report programs? Are there any limitations (meaning things that can't be done) using screen reading speech software?

Thank you in advance.

Robert Smith

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose.