Re: [program-l] Sending SMS's via code components/objects

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:38:35 -0500

Things may have changed since then, but when I looked into this a couple years ago, I could not find a free way of sending a text message to anyone based on mobile phone number. Each provider has a way of sending to someone on its network via a certain email address that includes the phone number sequence. I had to get info about each provider's email syntax, however -- there was no consistent syntax across providers. I think there were commercial libraries that would do this, or ways of doing it freely if one registerd on a web site that tried to sel you more services in exchange for a limited amount of free texting to anyone. One could conceivably automate such web forms, but it is tricky because the providers try to code their web sites so that they are resistant to such automation attempts.

If anyone knows otherwise, I am interested as well.

Jamal

On 1/25/2011 6:05 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
While I know there are some providers out there that provide a sort of
e-mail service, which lets you send a message to someone's phone by
sending an email to something like 12345678912@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:12345678912@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, they don't all work that way,
so it's most likely rather specific to network areas/providers, etc.,
but just wondering off-hand how you would otherwise try something like
sending a text message to someone's phone, either using something like a
sim card plugged into phone, or however...?
This is in C# etc., since know could easily enough do it off the phone
using python, but not sure how would initiate the process, unless did
something like (and this might be a bit insane) initiate something like
a bluetooth connection to a python app running on the handset, waiting
for a connection, and then sending a message from there...?
Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA