Re: prime factors shortcut question

  • From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 08:24:54 +0300

in fact you take the number 22
you will take the square root it is 4.
you search amoung all primes less than square root until you find one which divides your number.
In our case you find 2.
You divide your number by that prime found and for the result you repeat the algorithm You repeat this algorithm until you will not find any prime less than the square root which divides your number. In our case 22/2=11 square root of 11 is 3 the only prime less than 3 is 2 you take the modulo of 11 to 2 and you find that is 1 not 0 so stop. Now the last number you found is also a prime factor so the result of your program is 2, 11.
In a pseudo language I see tthe code like this:

int num=22;//any other number works
bool ready=false;
arraylist results=new arraylist();
while(!ready)