Re: [jawsscripts] Re: Silverlight accessibility (fwd)

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:30:44 -0500

That's unfortunate.
The industry continues to evolve quite rapidly with no end in sight. Can't
hang onto legacy code forever.
A question for the mac users:
I have a little mac book running leopard and windows xp and want to try snow
leopard.  Will it run on my old machine, or is snow leopard only for a more
powerful machine?
How does it differ from leopard?
Thanks.
--le

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:40:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [jawsscripts] Re: Silverlight accessibility

Good point, since I was using IEMax and FxMax scripts, and although they
generally inherit default settings, there might be a difference.  I have
now checked with the FS supplied scripts and found no difference.
   I then searched through all JAWS 11 documentation for the word
"Silverlight" and found no mention of it, so my current conclusion is that
the latest JAWS does not support Silverlight.  This is disappointing since
Microsoft has tried to implement UIA in Silverlight.  Based on another
message in this thread, that implementation may still need some work by
Microsoft, but NVDA illustrates how much client access is possible.

In general, it seems that NVDA is significantly ahead of the commercial
screen readers in supporting state-of-the-art accessibility APIs,
including UIA, IAccessible2, and ARIA.  It appears that other screen
readers are being held back by legacy code that is difficult to update
appropriately for the best APIs available.

Jamal