Re: installing the .net framework automatically?

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 13:51:37 -0400 (EDT)

The Homer application framework, HomerApp, illustrates how to do this for the .NET Framework 2.0, using an Inno Setup script to build an installer.

http://EmpowermentZone.com/appsetup.exe

or .zip for a manual install.

Jamal

Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 12:37:01 -0500
From: Christy Schulte <christy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: installing the .net framework automatically?

Hi everyone,

I have an extremely simple program that I wrote some time ago that is up for
anyone to download. However, there's a problem in that if the .net framework
isn't installed, it gives a not very helpful error. If there's one thing I hate
about programming in .net, it's this requirement that something else be
installed just to get the thing running, but I don't yet have familiarity with
any languages that can be used to make windows forms and aren't dependent on
this framework. So, with this in mind. I'd really like to find a way to package
this program into an installer that will do an automatic check for the
framework and download it if it's not there. As of right now, the program is
simply an .exe file that you run, it's not even really installed at all it's
that simple.

I know this is, technically, possible, but am I dreaming too big for someone
still learning? Any idea if there's something put together already that I could
get and just plug in the right stuff? Thanks.