another java question

  • From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:33:23 -0500

Hi all,
Sorry, but I have just one more question about this blackjack program. For some extra credit I can include a function that adds 11 to a hand with an ace when the total of the hand is below 11 and adds 1 with an ace when the total is more than 11. I have this function inside a method called getHandTotal(). I use a boolean called ace and set it to true if the adding loop encounters an ace so that, after the loop, I can use an if statement whose condition is that the handTotal was greater than 11 and ace==true. Inside this I subtract 10 from the hand (same as subtracting the 11 that was added in the loop and then adding the one I want). The problem is that the compiler says that ace might not have been initialized, but just after starting the method I say
boolean ace;
Is it because I am setting ace to true inside a loop or something? I have no idea why it won't work. All times I call ace it is lower case. I have tried just saying
if (total>11 && ace
and
if (total>11 && ace==true
but both result in that same error.  Thanks for any help.

Have a great day,
Alex