aemons?

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 13:16:24 -0400

Hi all,
I am a bit confused about daemons. I get that they are simple programs to do a single task, I think anyway, but when someone says "daemon", what do they mean? Is a hook a daemon? If daemons are simple, why are they used for such complex tasks as mail delivery? Are they software, or can they be firmware on microprocessors in otherwise non-computerized devices, like cars or thumb drives? Sorry for the random question, but I have heard the word a lot and cannot quite figure it all out. Thanks.

Have a great day,
Alex