a good word for separatist schools

  • From: Robert J Smith <rsmith247@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:30:20 -0400

Hi all -- I got a certificate in data processing in a separatist school
setting back in 1982-83.  We learned introductory Basic to see if we had
logical abilities and could program, introductory IBM Assembly language,
and all the rest COBOL.  Not everybody passed the program.  One guy had
health issues, one guy didn't seem to have the ability, and two other
people quit going, so it was not a push-over course.  The instruction was
very good and the instructors were honest with us.  The main instructor
would actually read us lines of code to illustrate what she was talking
about, instead of using what I call the "this-that" syndrome where the
professor would say "This paragraph is performed, and this variable is
multiplied by that one..."  We also had a business advisory council which
was made up of data processing business people from local industry who
would come in during our finals times and ask us questions about COBOL and
see how we answered.  I ended up in the A ranges in my COBOL and currently
work fulltime as a programmer, although unfortunately not in COBOL any
longer.  In summary, if a separatist school is done correctly, it is a
very good thing.

Bob Smith