WinformsProject IDE Accessibility Settingss -

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 07:54:59 -0400

Hi Team: I am trying to nail down the best way for beginners to research what
all those IDE Settings do. I found I can use what is called Context Sensitive
Help to read the Documentation for each Setting. The little Browser window that
pops up is sometimes hard to read with Windoweyes and sometimes I had to use
the Mouse. I just made a change to one of that pages settings and it seemed to
help but I am not sure since it sometimes still doesn't work as expected. That
said, by hitting one or more of the key combinations below I can get the help
document, read it and have the links working to take me to the details for each
setting under the Tools Menu > Options > Any of the settings in any of the Tab
Groups. Now, I Don't really understand the diference between using the below
key combinations, I have not used them enough yet but they all look the same so
far. How do  they work with JAWS? To try them just open the Tools Menu, click
Options, cursor down to something like the Text Editor and cursor to one of the
settings. Then just hit one of the Help keys like the F1or Shift+F1  to see
what happens. You should get a summary of the settings in that tab group and be
able to click on links for each setting that displays a page where the details
about what the setting does and how to use it. How do they work in JAWS?
Let me know which of the following works the best for JAWS Users so I can add
the findings into the tutorials.
Here is the blurb on using the key combinations I found.
BeginCopiedCode:
F1
Displays a topic from Help that corresponds to the part of the user interface
that currently has focus.
If the focus is in a source window, Help will try to display a topic relevant
to the text under the cursor.
Shift-F1
Displays a topic from Help that corresponds to the user interface item that has
focus
Ctrl-Alt-F1
Displays the Contents window for the documentation.
Ctrl-F1
Displays the Dynamic Help window,
which displays different topics depending on what items currently have focus.
If the focus is in a source window,
the Dynamic Help window will display help topics that are relevant to the text
under the cursor.
EndCopiedCode:
I have read that the Dynamic Help window is not recommended for Screen Reader
Users so you might not want to mess with that. In fact, one of the
accessibility gurus at Microsoft mentioned turning it off if using a screen
reader but did not tell how and I never did it so it might be fine as it is set
up out of the box by default.
Anyway, all you group members try using F1  and shift+F1. You experienced folks
might try the ctrl+Alt+F1 and perhaps the Ctrl+F1 to tell us what is going on
with those help options with JAWS.
Post up the results of your trials so we can nail down how other nubes should
read up on all those IDE Settings when they try and decide on changing them.
If you use Windoweyes try it out as well and post up and I will continue
playing with it using Windoweyes. It might even be diferent under VISTA or
Windows7 so it wwould be good for several folks to try this technical out. It
is called "Getting Context Help" and should be helpful in many other features
of the IDE while learning it if we can nail down a solid way to use it with a
Screen Reader. I just use some Online Google pages to look things up but that
is allot slower than using built-in help so we might as well do it since some
of you might not want to read hundreds of Google articles to try and find
something about the IDE out when you could just cclick for Help right in the
IDE while you are working on something.
I just liked reading so never forced myself to learn this, and some other,
technicals as you will see as we go along but they are very good technicals and
I am sure the professionals use them all the time. Guess I was just lazy and
frustrated when I was first learning.
Rick USA