Web CheckBox Control Turning Off TabStop

  • From: "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:16:44 -0400

Hi Again Guys:
I'm trying to define a nice screen reader friendly control.  A tabbable
container control that holds a dynamically loaded list of checkbox controls.
I don't want the checkbox controls to have tabstop set to true so, rather,
according to the docs, I should set the tabindex to a negative value.
To test this technique out I dropped a checkbox control on a page, set the
tabindex to -1 in the control's properties but the tabstop is still working.
Here is the rendered source.
<input id="CheckBox1" type="checkbox" name="CheckBox1" tabindex="-1" />
Any idea if the problem lies with my browser IE or might it be a Windoweyes
problem?
Can one of you running jaws try it out if you have an old page floating around
you can plop the control on and take a quick peek?
Rick Farmington Mich.USA