WEP cracking

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:56:19 -0400

Hi all,
First off, let me state that my purpose in asking this is NOT illegal, but rather educational. I have my own network here with only three computers on it, two of which are mine, and only my family lives here. I simply want to look at cracking the WEP key that I set up some years ago to get a sense of just how it all works, most definitely not to go around hacking into people's networks. Whether you believe this or not is fine with me, but I hope that someone takes my word on my reason for this project; if not, I will not get any answers. :) Anyway, I have a few questions: 1. What program(s) exist to break WEP encryption? Are some better/more accessible than others?
2.  Can I get into any trouble for downloading these programs?
3. Do any exist that are only command-line and run on Windows CE 4.2, for my BrailleNote? I like my bn best so try to do as much on it as I can, and it can run command-line apps that take only initial arguments and require no further input; I can then output to a txt file. Thanks for any answers. Again, I plan to only use this stuff on my own network (and I am already the one that sets up things and maintains it) and will not use this on any other network (my phone plan has internet and open networks are all over the place, so why break the law for nothing?) I just want to hammer this point home after the software cracking thread a couple days ago; my intention is not illegal, I just like networking stuff and want to see this from a hacker's angle.

Have a great day,
Alex