Re: Using SourceForge

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:21:18 -0500

Ken,

Yaa, I predominately agree. I think each has its place. Git and
Mercurial (which are very similar) are great for truly massive code
bases, where you have to do operations like you are mentioning
regularly. We really don't ever have to do that kind of stuff, so it's
less important. On the other hand, the power from that can lead to
problems too. For example, even a cursory look at GitHub reveals that
it's basically a complete mess. Even the most minor features are
branched off into a nether region and it becomes quite difficult at
times to figure out which version you really need. With subversion,
there's usually little doubt, as people don't branch as often, and
there's an official build number, even if on a branch build, which is
usable and easy to wrap your head around.

And then, on the other hand, I know folks out at Boeing that work on
code bases with millions of lines of code that still use CVS. I think
they're crazy, but they like it, and argue all day to defend it. Like
a lot of this stuff, there are some fine, objective arguments to be
made (e.g., algorithm efficiency, ease of use), but at the end of the
day, there's some personal preference that goes around as well.

Stefik