Re: SQL Server 2008 R2 ManagerStudio

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 07:43:47 -0400

I find the same thing with WindowEyes. I can use most of the features of SSMS
and picking a DataBase, or accessing data is no problem. I tend to have used
the tools in vb.net or VWD for my DDL and then just load the DB into the Sql
Server if I want rather than build the db in SSMS. That said, I have used the
t-sql and the "Execute Now" methodology of SSMS to muck about with a DataBase
and it all works ok for the most part. That said, with WidnowEyes, I did have
to do some mousing around to get some things done.
It could have used some scripting to work better but since it worked well
enough for my hobbiest needs I never scripted that puppy.
the 2010 versions of everything from Microsoft is switching to WPF and UIA so
nothing is very accessible with WindowEyes and GW Micro has not provided us
with any way to script WPF so tme messing with anything past the 2008 versions
of the modules is out until GW gets it together.
But the 2008 versions of what I have used were all accessible enough to work
with or to script using WindowEyes and, or, JAWS from what I've read over the
years.
If you want a ppiece of software to work better you can either script it
yourself or ask someone to script it for you. If related to a job your local
State Commision might pay for having it scripted - not sure about that though.
The SSMS does take some getting use to since some things read well, some not so
well and some you have to use the mouse to read and, or, tweak the UI settings
to make work better.
You do know you can build DataBases and do some management from inside any of
the languages like VB.net or C#.net etc...
There might be more documentation on doing this floating around Google.
I think I have a set of tutorials that have a step by step on building a simple
database using the IDE of the Visual Web Developer Express.
Anyway, back to SSMS or SMSSE (The express version might have an E in it - I
forget).
It should work enough for you to look around a little and set some things up to
read better with your screen reader.
Don't forget to maximize any window you are looking at, close any unused
windows and I think, if you can do it, set windows to be Tabbed Windows but
others on list can give you more info on that since I don't use JAWS.
Thats
  all I have for now.
  Rick USA