Question about adding sql database controls to windows form, after reading tips from empowermentZone website.

  • From: "Jeremy Hartley" <jeremyhartley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:57:41 -0700

Hello there Folks,

I just subscribed to this list, and I already have a question. grin

Before I ask my question, I will say that I am using visual studio express c sharp edition, with SQL server, both 2008, and I am using the latest scripts for VS and Jaws version 10.

I am going through a programming book on C Sharp. One of the projects in the book is to create a practice contact application.

I have been able to successfully create the SQL database adding a table with rows and columns. I can successfully fill out the database using tab and the arrow keys. I am able to add the data source to my form using add data source from the data menu.

In this book, they say that if I click on the arrow to the right of my table name in show data sources, I could select details from the dropdown menu that appears. The books says that by choosing details, separate controls will be created for each column, rather than a data grid view. Surprisingly, I was able to use my jaws mouse right command, alt+shift+right arrow a few times, to find that little arrow to click on. Jaws doesn't read it, but I just moved and clicked until that dropdown appeared. I was able to select details. I even used that same process to look at each column in my table to see what control type will be made for each column.

OK, here is the little problem I am having, after all that. grin

The book says to drag the table that I created onto the form design area. I have tried this in too ways. First, I tried to use the jaws drag and drop commands to select the table I created in the show data sources area, and then drop it onto the form after pressing Shift+F7. This didn't appear to work. I am assuming that since I checked that details menu, that I should be able to see the different columns controls on the form if I dragged it in the right place. This isn't happening.

I then saw that on empowermentZone.com there are some VS tips, and tips for database manipulation, which I have read and followed. I noticed that when I selected dataset from the toolbox under the data group, and pressed enter, and pointed to the database from the wizard that pops up, this still doesn't seem to work.

I hope this all makes sense. I guess I would like to know if there is an accessible way to create a database and have the ide create the individual column controls like it would do if I were to drag the object on the form and choose details? Or, do I have to create the individual controls, and then bind them to the database?

Sorry for the rambling message, but I wanted to include all the steps that I have already done.

Thanks.

Jeremy