Open Source Daisy/NISO Software?

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:08:06 -0500

Hi All,

I'm looking for and trying to evaluate any open source, GPL type Daisy/NISO
book readers.  My initial search seems to show that all roads lead to AMIS.

The AMIS I've downloaded (source and langpacks, etc.) as well as the
executable and installer seemed monstrous but a lot of the data one
downloads are about a billion different languages and associated MP3 style
Daisy help files.

I also downloaded and ran the installer and started taking some notes on the
general gestalt of the experience for a user new to AMIS.  Fortunately, they
include some sample documents because it is smart enough to recognize that
it is not allowed to run NLS content and it barfs on bookshare.org stuff.

Does anyone know of a different open source Daisy/NISO reader?  Has anyone
here hacked AMIS at all who would be willing to give me some off list
pointers about this bear of a source tree?

Thanks,
cdh