New to list - looking for resources on programming with jaws

  • From: "Amy Bower" <abower@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 10:26:23 -0400

Hi --

I'm a research scientist in Woods Hole, MA. I'm looking for some learning
resources, including one or two mentors on learning how to program source
code with no vision (using Jaws). I've been losing my vision gradually over
two decades. I work extensively in the Matlab environment (www.matlab.com),
and use primarily Matlab's source code editor/debugger to write scripts for
data analysis. To date, I've used a combination of screen magnification and
screen reading, but with diminishing vision, I'd like to learn the basics
and tips and tricks of blind programming (like how best to write and
organize code so that you can keep the work flow straight even with no
visual information, and how to customize Jaws for writing code, which for
Matlab is similar to a combination of C++ and FORTRAN). I'm also interested
in hearing about what are the best accessible source code editors for use
with Jaws. I prefer to use the built-in Matlab editor/debugger because of
it's debugging features, but I'm open to other possibilities that are more
accessible.

Thanks.
Amy B.