RE: Looking for friendly product installation and registration software

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:41:38 -0500

Hi,

For installation, the Windows Installer that comes with Visual Studio works
quite well.

As for protecting your IP: It's very hard to protect html once it arrives on
a PC.  As it is a text format system, even if you download it "on the fly,"
someone who is both clever and wants to see your code can get to it pretty
easily.  When I say "clever," I do not mean a serious hacker but, rather,
someone who knows how to monitor where files are created or written to on a
hard disk, a junior high level effort.

The only real good ways to protect Internet based code is to either use web
2.0 techniques that do lots of live updates (PHP, Python, etc. all work for
that) or go with Active X controls which give you compiled code that you can
even further obfuscate.  The problem with both of these is, unless you work
very carefully with the coding and test frequently with screen readers, they
will work like shit with JAWS, Window-Eyes and System Access.  Of course,
you could make your code self-voicing and tell the screen readers to shut up
while your applet is running.  The self-voicing option has real problems
with translations and different variations of synthesizers that a user may
have installed.

Welcome to the most popular programming problem for web developers.

You should really go GPL and let the community help you develop your stuff
at the same time.

Have fun,
cdh

  _____