Re: Linux and ubuntu

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind programming <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 17:02:09 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Ian D. Nichols wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm pursuing an interest in Linux and have downloaded a .iso file from
ubuntu hardy, and have made a CD from it.  Windows does not recognize that
there is anything on the CD, so I am not sure that making the CD was successful.

First, burn the iso to disk. Check the size and used space on the disk with windows. Then set your bios to boot from cd first, then reboot with the cd in the drive and it will boot... :-)

Also note: it is a fully functional version of linux, however, if you save things or install things they will be lost on a reboot.
So you can still play and test everything out.
Especially if you have a usb thumb drive, or you could even mount your windows hard drive...
So its possible to test out firefox 3... (is that on the disk already?)

Actually, when I say "windows hard drive" I should probably say "windows partition".

Cheers,

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/