Re: Lego for the Blind was Re: Scanner/Stuff...

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:29:09 -0400

Hi,
As the former list owner, that being worth little, I say go for it. I'm
interested.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

Highmark internal only: Consider Usability Engineering On Your Next Project
or release. http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Jackie McBride"
             <abletec@xxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Lego for the Blind was Re:
                                       Scanner/Stuff...
             05/12/2008 11:45
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Foundation for Blind Children, Phoenix, AZ.  U know, Chris, I guess
I'm gonna take the risk of being considered off topic & I hate doing
that. But...

11 years ago I contracted what they think is Meniere's disease. It's
an inner ear condition that's taken my balance & some of the hearing
in my right ear. As a consequence, I use a walker when outdoors. My
walker had a wheelchair pathfinder on it, which was a combination of
laser & sonar. It detected left, right, & forward obstacles, as well
as dropoffs. It died last August, & the manufacturer, Nurion Raycal,
also died several years ago along w/its founder, Nazier Ali. So I have
lost my mobility, & for me, it's a terrible loss. I came across a
robot, r2d2, sold by Hammacher Schlimmer, & it could tell when it was
gonna fall off a table, bump into stuff, etc. Point is, the technology
is there to make those blind individuals w/severe mobility impairments
a mobility device that could help us navigate--the truth is no1 wants
to. I guess it could also help other blind folks who don't even have
mobility impairments, but it could really help those of us for whom a
long cane or dog guide is no longer an option. I belong to a list
called blind rollers--it's for mobility-impaired blind---& we all ask
the same question--how can we travel independently--& it's like
shouting down a sewer pipe. All we hear back is the echo of our
questions. I really think that since the priorities of this country
are clearly not to help folks who need it, as demonstrated by the fact
that we can launch a missile from hundreds of miles away & blow a
house from here to the hot place & back, but won't help our blind
navigate their environment, then perhaps what we need to do is form
our own little consortium to do it--& I cannot think of a better way
than to get blind kids interested early on in programming. I'm sorry
for the rant. Jeff, I'll shut up now. But I'll say this 1
thing--programmers need to be concerned about our coding, etc. We also
need to be concerned w/the greater social schema & how our skills
might be brought to bear to make this world a better place, especially
in those areas where the big corporations have no interest in going.
Regretably, that is not an area oft discussed, amongst programmer
types, & Chris has raised some poignant issues which we as programmers
need to consider. My defense for this being on topic. I, too, am a
list owner. & if some1 on my list had given a rationale like this for
a discussion that initially appeared to me to be off topic, I would
have taken it to heart & allowed it to continue. Just my $.02, &
that's probably exactly what it's worth.

On 5/12/08, Chris Hofstader <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I actually think the Lego robotics hardware and programming environments
are
> on topic for this list as a number of us communicate frequently with
blind
> children who will turn into the blind hackers of the future.  Robotics is
an
> especially good area as so much can be done with the technology that can
be
> applied directly to issues regarding people with disabilities.
>
> If I knew of someplace where a handful of blind kids congregated on a
> frequent basis, I would buy their center another set to see how they can
> work with the Lego system out-of-the-box.  They might be able to conjure
> designs that their sighted counterparts and we adults (and adulteresses)
> can't fathom because our heads are stuffed with the possibilities of
today
> while the children can imagine futures well beyond what we can think up
as
> they have a lot less baggage.
>
> Does anyone know of a blind center where middle school kids congregate?
>
> Enjoy,
> cdh

My
> sculptures don't look as pretty as they used to because I can not
determine
> what color my bricks are, but I still make more and more complicated
models
> every year.
>
> I highly recommend lego for blind as it helps to develop spacial
awareness
> and planning skills.
>
> Regards,
> Jim