Re: How well is ARIA supported and where to get started?

  • From: "Bryan Garaventa" <bgaraventa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:44:40 -0700

The following site helped me quite a bit to understand which screen readers support ARIA, and how extensively...

http://tink.co.uk/2009/06/screen-reader-support-for-ajax-live-regions/
This helped me to implement ARIA successfully at
http://gutterstar.net/amazon.php
Which uses ARIA to announce the connecting message when navigating or doing searches on the page. The automatic announcement appears to match all of the supported screen readers and technologies listed on the prior link as well. You can see where ARIA is used within the page by doing a search within the source for "aria-live" This appears to work best when writing new content to a specific tag such as a Div or Span, and requires only the aria-live attribute to work in standard XHTML web pages.

----- Original Message ----- From: "niran" <public.niran@xxxxxxxxx>