For web developers:code igniter

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:07:39 -0600

Hello:

I know there are a few PHP developers out there, so I wanted to throw this out in case it's of any use to anyone.

I just recently started on a project with a friend, and I was looking for PHP libraries or something that would provide for rapid development. Everything I've either done, or attempted has been straight PHP, with nothing making this easier. I stumbled into some PHP frameworks, and started playing with Code Igniter(http://codeigniter.com).

I like this framework for a few reasons. First, it's well structured, easy to use and the documentation is amazing. The people on their IRC channel are really helpful. I can not vouch for the forums, but it seems to be a pretty solid community. Second, it relies heavily on the MVC pattern(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93view%E2%80%93controller). This means that you can keep your code separated and it's not such a hastle to modify a currently working site. This is especially useful, because I always had numerous PHP islands in my HTML where I would have to use a few lines, sometimes a lot more than I liked to dynamically load content. I also like the ease of extensibility and the way that the libraries are laid out; they make it extremely easy to work your code around.

I know there are other frameworks out there, and I can not honestly say to much either for or against others. This was the first one I sat down with, and I was quickly working on a login system that works a lot better than anything I've written so far. Hopefully this will give someone some information and help them get going with this, at any rate.