Re: Colors On Web Pages

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:47:51 -0400

Hi Alex,
Since the form is a container tag, create a CSS class and give it a class.
For other sections, put div tags around them and give them classes. Make
CSS classes for them. W3schools.com will help with this.

Thanks.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Alex Parks"
             <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
             programmingblind-         programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bounce@freelists.                                          cc
             org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Colors On Web Pages
             10/30/2007 08:30
             PM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

This is getting into coding, but how do you make sections
different colors? I have a blog I keep online (not through a
site--I wrote the code and all and use js files to insert most of
it, so I can play with this sort of thing).  I have the blog, a
contact form, and a misc section.  How can I give each section
its own bgcolor? Thanks for the help.

Have a great day,
Alex

function.

>I agree that black on white is a reasonable choice for reading
ease;
>however, if people are going to be looking at something for a
long time then
>pure white, which can be very bright, can cause a lot of glare
and actually
>reduce reading ease.  So, using something just off white might be
more
>appropriate if someone is expected to look at something for a
while.

>If ease of navigation around the screen is a priority then I
would actually
>encourage blocks of colour.  For example, having the background
for a menu
>one colour, the background for the main content another colour,
and so on.
>Unifying content to form a perceptual block by giving the content
the same
>background colour will enable someone to shift their attention to
another
>block of content faster and easier.  There is research evidence
that people
>shift their attention based on perceptual groups.

>So, I would say that you need to choose colours based on the task
that
>someone is performing and how you expect them to perform that
task.  You'll
>probably get an artist saying different but then it's still an
open question
>as to whether form or function has greater importance.  I guess
I'm pretty
>biased in favour of function given I'm a human factors
researcher, and I
>spend most of my days thinking about how to make novel user
interfaces
>easier to use.

>Will

that's
>> white with black text.
>> Of course, there are beautiful and easy-to-read sites that use a
variety
>> of
>> colored backgrounds, text, and images.  But, that is not
something that
>> most
>> sighted people can achieve.  Typically, to do
>> a good job with visual design, you need an artist or graphic
designer.
>> That's my 2 cents!

>> The first thing to ask is what kind of website are you trying to
make.
>> What
>> kind of website you are trying to put out to the people needs to
be a
>> determining factor because you wouldn't want a banking website
to have a
>> red
>> background with brite green text.  Why you might ask?  Because
when people
>> are visiting a banking website a rule of advertising for them is
they want
>> to come across as secure and stable.  So for that most of them
will just
>> use
>> the standard black text on a white background.  I am going to
try to help
>> by
>> associating a color with a mood and see if that helps.
>> red= A color that is for fun things, like a clown's red nose, a
red ball.
>> blue = the color of the sky or ocean.  Think of how you feel
when you
>> visit
>> either but keep in mind that when in the water although sighted
people can
>> see underwater it is a bit hard to see unless you have a mask.
>> green = an earthen color, the color of grass, trees etc.  Green
text
>> however
>> doesn't work unless you have a dark dark background color.  Also
for mixed
>> colors like green, blue and yellow make green, it is always a
good idea
>> not
>> to use either color that make up a certain color with the color
that they
>> make.  For example you would not want to have green text on a
yellow
>> background.  That would make things a bit hard to see.  You
could however
>> have yellow text on a blue background.  Why you might ask?
Because it is
>> also another rule of thumb to have either a dark color as a
background and
>> light color as text or vice versa.
>> Yellow = it is the color of the sun, many times it can be very
bright,
>> other
>> times rather soothing to the eyes again depending on the time of
day, and
>> its background.  You can use yellow as a background color quite
>> effectively
>> with black text if it is a light but not too bright yellow
background.
>> Why
>> you might ask, just associate yellow as day and black as night.
So yes,
>> yellow text on a black background will also work.
>> black= well for some of us black is probably pretty self
explanatory.
>> Black
>> means no light can pass through.  A black background can be used
if
>> contrasted with a bright color such as yellow, green, red,
orange.  To
>> fully
>> understand black you have to also understand the mood associated
with it.
>> To some black is scary, to some black is also a mysterious
color.  You
>> must
>> also understand black in the way that it works in the sense of a
computer
>> monitor.  All televisions and monitors work off of the same
principal.
>> There are 3 colors that can make every color that is visible on
a screen.
>> Red, green and blue.  The description of how the aliens could
see in HG
>> Wells' War of the Worlds still amazes me considering when the
book was
>> actually written.  Basically what you have with red green and
blue are
>> three
>> colors that can make any other color when mixed together with
varying
>> brightnesses.  Now back to the black, black on a computer
monitor is
>> produced when you drop the brightness of all three colors down
to zero.