Anyone going to SIGCSE 2009 this year?

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:14:40 -0800

Hello list,

It's been some time since I've poked my head in. This year, Sun Microsystems
has invited me out to speak at SIGCSE 2009, regarding some tools a team of
undergraduates and I are building here at Central Washington University for
blind computer programmers. Our tool, nicknamed SODBeans, is a custom
compiler, debugger, and auditory cue architecture for NetBeans 6.5
specifically designed to be more accessible to the blind. Our tool is a very
early stage prototype and is not feature complete. The ultimate goal is to
release an open source version of the tool within a few years. However, an
early version is working and I will be showing a demo at the conference.

Anyway, if anyone on this list is at all interested in seeing what the
research community is working on in regards to tools for the blind, and
happens to be going to SIGCSE 2009 (in Chattanooga, TN this year), feel free
to stop by my presentation on Friday.

Andreas Stefik