Any tips for VS in a few areas?

  • From: "Christy Schulte" <christy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 17:51:48 -0500

Hi all,

I've been using Visual Studio for several terms now, and for the most part I
can get it to work, if a little annoyingly at times. However there are still a
few things I'm not sure about, and I'd like to find out if these are just
generally problem areas, or if there are tips and tricks I could use.

First, debugging. Up until now we've been doing some pretty simple things, so
it's not too hard for me to debug without the use of tools. Things are getting
a lot more complicated now however, and I'm wondering if anyone has been able
to make much use out of the debug dialogs? I know for example that when in
debug mode, you can set break points and it will show the variables, or some of
them maybe, at the bottom of the screen. Is there an easy way to get at this
information or into this part of the window without using the jaws cursor to
filter through all the other clutter on the screen? Any other general debugging
tips when it comes to VS? Up until now if I've wanted to debug I've had to put
message box statements into my code but that gets old.

Second, menus. Is there an easier way to set up menus other than doing mouse
clicks on the "type here" things and hoping you're in the right place?
Sometimes I've noticed the fields disappear too. Most of the time I've managed
to get it right, but my menus so far have been really simple.

And lastly, databases. I don't even know where to start here, as I can't seem
to get the data grid to read or work at all for me. Any ideas would be very
much appreciated, as I think this class we'll get back into databases again.
It's not the coding I'm having so much trouble with, it's the data grid itself.
If I can't access it, I can't tell if it's working as it should or not.

Christy
p.s. Using jaws 9, and VS 2008.