RE: Accessible Kindle Reader

  • From: "Rasmussen, Lloyd" <lras@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:42:11 -0500

The 232-megabyte Kindle Reader download for PC's is at
  www.amazon.com/kindle/accessibility
and you can read some user experience info at
  http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Access_Technology_Blog.asp .
Go to the January 19 and 21 entries.  Newer hardware Kindles are partially
accessible, but their text-to-speech can be limited by the authors.  In this PC
version, apparently, the presence of a screen reader is used to tell the
software to allow text-to-speech on all books.  Because the menus are written
with QT controls, Window-Eyes cannot read them until you install a QT script,
available from Script Central.  I don't have this fully working yet.  Your
screen reader speaks the menus and controls, and the supplied, locked-down
Nuance text-to-speech reads the pages.

Read the  blog.  It will answer a lot of questions.  Also, I think this is only
available in the United States so far.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Library of Congress, NLS.