RE: Accessible Installer Generators for Windows

  • From: "Katherine Moss" <plymouthroamer285@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 17:18:00 -0500

Inno setup is great.

-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andreas Stefik
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 5:16 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Jamal Mazrui; Sina Bahram
Subject: Accessible Installer Generators for Windows

Hey folks,

We are getting ready for the release of Sodbeans 1.5 and, as many folks
know, we distribute our tool in two ways: 1) the NetBeans generated
Installer, and 2) Zip file distros. We do the latter because of
accessibility problems with the NetBeans generated installers, but we do the
former because Windows requires some configuration which some people have to
do manually with the zip distribution. While we have tested the installers
with JAWS and NVDA, and with the java access bridge installed, they are
generally accessible, in practice, they are somewhat difficult to use.

Anyway, we are "considering" adding to the development schedule a better
installer for the Sodbeans 2.0 release, depending on what else needs to be
finished. This sounds easy, but because of the nature of our tools, there
are some technical challenges that would take time to finish.

So my question. If we were to develop an installer that is highly
accessible, does anyone have any tips on generators that others have used
that come out really well with screen readers, preferably without needing
the Java Access Bridge to be installed?

Thanks for any tips,

Stefik